John Wesley, convinced by the open air preaching of George Whitfield, preached on the Mount on the 8th April 1739.
To the Miners - Hope
To the Sick - Dispensaries
To Prisoners - Reform
To Children - Education
To All - The love of Jesus
It was in 1951 that in commemoration of the preaching of John Wesley and George Whitfield the then Kingswood Borough Council erected the Beacon, Cross and Pulpit on the Mount.
1950s -1960s : At the rear of the Hanham Mount site there was a market garden beyond this semi-circular paved terrace and part of the original Kingswood Schools chapel font
The voluntary charity The Friends of Hanham Mount was founded in 1996.
Its objective was to return Hanham Mount to a quality landscape befitting its historic significance
In consultation with the South Gloucestershire Council (newly formed in 1996) a remodelling landscape scheme was devised and implemented in 2002.
The New Beacon was installed in 2007.